Saturday, January 25, 2014

To a fine future!

My goal for 2013 was to read 113 books and write a review for each of them for my blog.  And what I learned about midway through the year was that writing because you have to and not because you want to is really, really miserable.  So that will never happen again.

In order to permanently mentally move on from that wretched experience, I've decided (with the permission of the authors reviewed, of course) to remove those posts, leaving up the reviews only on sites like Amazon/Goodreads/B&N/etc., and start completely fresh here.  I'm also not going to do just reviews anymore, because man, did that get old.  Sometimes you really don't want to write a whole review.  Sometimes, you just want to write, "Hey, I'm midway through this book and the author's making a really interesting point, and that got me looking up articles on this topic on Longreads last night, and..."

So let's do this again the right way.  Let's embrace the original intent -- marginalia, margin notes, just little thoughts scribbled here and there, with full reviews mixed in.  And let's remember that reading is more than just books, and books are more than just new and upcoming releases, and that joyless reading is the worst thing on the planet, even worse than no reading at all.

Nice to see you with fresh eyes and enthusiasm, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment