Sunday, February 23, 2014

Facts of the Now: February 23, 2014

I'm in the middle of several books right now, with three in particular taking up my time:
  • Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation, Aisha Tyler
  • When Prophecy Fails: A Social & Psychological Study of a Modern Group that Predicted the Destruction of the World, Leon Festinger
  • One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories, B.J. Novak
Aisha Tyler's book is a collection of really entertaining, beautifully written essays about life growing up in Oakland.  Well, it's her Oakland upbringing so far; I've just hit the end of high school  Festinger's classic is a re-read for me, though I regret that it was not inspired by Ragnarök.  But the best by far is B.J. Novak's collection of short stories, which I'm "reading" by audiobook because I had a funny feeling that's how the stories were really meant to be taken in.  And by about two minutes in, I was quite positive I'd made the right decision there.  It's February, but it's on track to be a contender for one of my year's favorites.

Some longreads I've enjoyed recently:
I think I should be finishing up at least one book this week -- I have some short review reads that won't take too long -- so hopefully I'll have a meatier post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment