Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Is It to BEA?

I am pretty positive that I am attending Book Expo America for the first time this year.  I say "pretty sure" because I have not yet bought my pass or booked my room, which seem like important steps in making conference attendance and travel happen.  The event is the last weekend of May, so perhaps I should get on that.

My problem (aside from money; when isn't that a problem) is that it involves two of my absolute least favorite things in the world: Manhattan and an indoor mass of people.  I always feel like the only young (young-ish now?) person who doesn't like cities are prefers barns to skyscrapers.  I don't like the chaos of the streets, the constant noise, the artificial everything, the tight shoulder-space walking anywhere...just everything, really.  I like my space.  I like a slow pace and some room and quiet.  Which also explains why I don't like giant indoor events; at least when they're outdoors, like a country fair, I can look up to the sky.

But I really, really want to go.  A group of friends are going just for BookCon, but I think I'd like to go for at least two days to the full event.  I always have to build in some breathing time when I travel to cities, otherwise I just wind up in meltdown mode -- which for me involves turning into a frozen turtle or deer -- by lunchtime.  I want to be able to stroll instead of hyperventilate.  (I should note that I am not actually agoraphobic or anything like that; it's an intense dislike rather than an actual fear.)  So I am still trying to figure out the best way to approach the schedule, how to actually pay for this all, and so on.  And I worry that I'm going to spend so much time trying to figure it out that I will miss out entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment