Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ephemera: Bookplates for Grownups

Even though I'm not a loaner, I like to personalize my books with bookplates so that I can have a nice way of logging the date and place from which the book was bought.  I like to think that maybe someday someone will have the same delight from my books that I get when I find a secondhand book with a great bookplate and signature inside.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that most bookplates for sale fall into one of two categories: best used for kindergartens or extremely overpriced.  I've been on something of a quest these past few weeks to find those elusive mature, moderately-priced bookplates to add to my wishlist.

I thought I would share some of my favorite examples I've found so far, and then hopefully some of you might have some suggestions to make as well!  If you know of not-$50-a-box, not-woodland-creatured bookplates for sale, please share!

Potter Style / Crown Publishing
Number of plates: 55
List price: $12.99 (USD)
Price per plate: ~24¢

Cavallini & Co.
Number of plates: 18
Current price: $11.79 (USD)
Price per plate: ~65¢

Cavallini & Co.
Number of plates: 18
Current price: $6 (USD)
Price per plate: ~33¢

Bookplate Ink / Antioch Bookplate Company
Number of plates: 20
List price: $8 (USD)
Price per plate: 40¢

Rx Letterpress
Number of plates: 25
List price: $12 (USD)
Price per plate: 48¢

Jonathan Wright
Number of plates: 25
List price: $12.95 (USD)
Price per place: ~52¢

Laurel Ink
Number of plates: 12
List price: $4.50 (USD)
Price per plate: ~38¢

Laurel Ink
Number of plates: 12
List price: $4.50 (USD)
Price per plate: ~38¢

Jonathan Wright
Number of plates: 25
List price: $12.95 (USD)
Price per place: ~52¢

Jonathan Wright
Number of plates: 25
List price: $12.95 (USD)
Price per place: ~52¢

Laurel Ink
Number of plates: 20
Current price: $6 (USD)
Price per plate: 30¢

Laurel Ink
Number of plates: 20
Current price: $6 (USD)
Price per plate: 30¢

I do have some others bookmarked, but this post is plenty long as it is!  I'll save them for another post soon.  In the meantime, I hope you enjoy lusting after bookplates with me.  If you have any of these or get any of them, let me know how they turn out for you!

1 comment:

  1. Aaah, I love these! The Antiquarian and Jonathan Wright ones are definitely my favorites.

    ReplyDelete